Thursday, January 22, 2009

One for the Nerds!

For many, Obama's ascension to the Oval Office was history-making because of his ethnic background, which I agree is a huge step forward in the evolution of the country, but the color of his skin really is an afterthought for me, as I truly do share most of his political views. That said, what really gets me pumped is that we now have a leader in office who is also a full-fledged nerd. How so? He collects Spider-Man and Conan the Barbarian comics.

Awesome.

Now, even before the Democratic and Republican primaries, the Comic community rallied around Obama. See, we nerds might be awkward and shunned by society, but, for the most part, we're level-headed and open-minded, and a lot of that comes from the comics we were raised on.We learned about tolerence from the X-Men and justice from Batman. Spider-Man gave us tales about the importance of responsibility, while Superman taught us about the American Dream. All of these traits are integral to how we see the American way of life, and these are traits we believe our new Commander-in-Chief possesses.

I've never met the President, nor have I met his parents or anyone who helped raise him, but in a way, I feel we have some of the same teachers and we've learned some of the same lessons. So naturally when I heard a fellow nerd was getting his chance to not only be featured in a Marvel comic, but also team-up with Spidey, I was ecstatic! I realize being President of the United States is a huge deal, but I can only imagine the personal joy that came from meeting another American icon, even if that icon is fictional.

So here's to the beginning of what I hope turns into a terrific term in office and a renewed American spirit.

1 comment:

Belle7905 said...

You know, this is so funny. I read your post and thought, "Huh, that's so true about comics! I never even thought about the life lessons; I just thought they were entertaining stories with colorful pictures." This was a really well-written post. And I may be new to the whole comic book world, but I still think it's cool that Spider-Man and Obama are teaming up.